Wednesday, June 8, 2011

HAPPY ICE CREAM DAY to me!


Friday, June 8 2007... I spent the morning in class.  It was my very last class at Art Institute ever, as I was graduating the next week.  Because I was graduating, final exams were given earlier than the other students (to make sure we'd actually pass classes) and so when the rest of the class spent the last hour reviewing for their exam the following week, I was allowed to leave early.

The day was now free.  Quickly, I made a plan for me and Mike to drive up to Anaheim, and meet up with Lorrie and Bill at Disneyland.  You see, the Submarine Voyage had been closed for over a decade, sitting empty, until recent construction began to transform it into the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage.  The official opening date for the revamped attraction was set for Monday the 11th, but they were previewing it on this Friday.  (Any new attraction at Disneyland gets me giddy, and Nemo happens to be one of my 5 favorite Disney films, so you know I had been counting down the days til it would open).  It did not disappoint.

After Nemo, a bit of shopping was to be done.  Lorrie and her Disney pin fascination led us to a pin shop nearby in Tomorrowland.  While checking out the limited edition pins, I noticed some 2007 calendar selections.  Fittingly, January, February, and March were no longer available... there were still a few April pins and even more May pins, but the newest and most available was the June pin.  It seems that each month had a traditional holiday theme, however I don't think Flag Day or Father's Day translated too well into an easily marketable theme so June, as a representation of the start of Summer, was dedicated to "Ice Cream Day"--- with the very day we were there, June 8, highlighted as the actual Ice Cream Day!

I bought the pin, and the image above is my drawing of it with all it's details.  And did I mention I now celebrate Ice Cream Day every year?

...because that day also happens to be my Birthday!

No comments: