Saturday, February 20, 2010

Taking Bailey "For A Walk"

I am sure you have heard that it is possible to leash train a cat.  I decided Bailey "wanted" to go for walks outside.

We did buy him a leash and a harness when he was young.  Bengals are known to be rather dog-like and I thought we could encourage him to walk with us, especially if we started him young.  Another thing Bengals are known for is their independent spirit.  Bailey absolutely HATES being held in my arms--it seems he dislikes his loss of control/options.  Put him in a box and carry the box around...  he is fine with that (he feels he is more in control of the situation if he has the option to jump out of the box), but put him in your arms and he screams bloody murder to be set free.

So I dug out the leash and harness we had given up using on him years ago.  Being slightly more mellow now, I figured I might have some better success.  At the very least, I could see if he was big enough to fit the harness properly...  as a spastic kitten he always squirmed his way out.

After a bit of a struggle to get him geared up, I picked him up and set him on the front porch, video in hand, waiting to see how much he would protest this indignity.  This is my wild boys response:


No comments: