Sunday, June 5, 2011

Darth Vadar's Disneyland Day

On May 25th 1983, I was working at Disneyland... it was the morning in which the "New Fantasyland" was being re-opened and I was in the Grand Re-Opening ceremonies.  In fact, as the drawbridge was lowered for only the second time in history, I was the third person to walk across the bridge, costumed as Toy Soldier #3.  Apparently, even Sleeping Beauty used the Royal Guard services of the Babes in Toyland Toy Soldiers.

After clocking out around noon, I raced back into the park solo, and rode only one ride, the brand new Pinocchio attraction.  I would have liked to have stayed longer, but my day was just barely beginning.

That particular day was also Senior Ditch Day at my high school... and you guessed it, I was a Senior in High School.  I had already planned to miss the day at school because of my Disneyland work opportunity, but as it turned out, Ditch Day was planned for this particular day because it was the same day "The Return of the Jedi" opened in theaters... so after my Castle encounter, I had to rush back to my home town and join my friends in line at the movie theater for the Jedi premiere.

Which makes this Disneyland video clip all the more awesomely awesome to me.

No comments: