Saturday, June 4, 2011

War Horse on Broadway

The Tony Awards are next weekend, and it is no surprise that I am favoring "The Book of Mormon" to win the Best Musical award.  It is written by the South Park guys, along with one of the "Avenue Q" writers... so really, it is already the winner in my eyes.

However, I am writing this post in order to express my thoughts on the Best Play category.  I admit I wouldn't mind it if "The Motherfucker with the Hat" won--the show sounds great and has a great title!  Rather, I really favor the WWI period play, "War Horse".  The show is about the friendship between a young man and his horse, but the horse is sent off to the war front. The equine puppetry is absolutely mesmerizing.  There really are no words to explain how awesome the emotions are expressed by the horses through amazing puppetry.  

I'll be rooting for "War Horse" to win next weekend and I found a video clip that does it some justice, so that maybe you'll be rooting for it too.

No comments: